VSTSDBE RC0 Post 3

November 4, 2008 at 3:10 pm (Tools, Visual Studio) (, , , , )

Second round of testing. Instead of associating with a project, I tried creating a reference to a .dbschema file. Same error. This time, I’m going to clear out everything. I tried creating it initially on top of the code from CTP 17.

So, another chance to try out the reverse engineer process of “Import Database Schema.” Works great. New AdventureWorks database inside Visual Studio with a tested deployment faster than you can spit.

Created a new server project. Added a login, just to give it something to do. It deployed fine.

On to the compound project. Let’s see what happens. Just to see, I did a build and deploy before I added references or objects or anything. It worked great. Whatever that means. I’m taking it a step at a time, to try to see where it breaks, if it breaks. So, I’ve added just the Adventureworks database project (not the .dbschema file). Trying a build & deploy now. Build went through. No issues. Deploying… Damn. I’m hitting a collation error. However, that’s good because I never got that far before… It worked! On to adding the server as a second reference and then deploying that… Whoops, there it is. Failure. Remove, reset and redeploy without the Server project.

Time for some more experimentation…

It looks like I was getting an error in the server project. I rearranged a few things and now I have the whole thing working again.

There is joy in Mudville!

Permalink Leave a Comment