VSTSDBE RC0 Post 3

November 4, 2008 at 3:10 pm (Tools, Visual Studio) (, , , , )

Second round of testing. Instead of associating with a project, I tried creating a reference to a .dbschema file. Same error. This time, I’m going to clear out everything. I tried creating it initially on top of the code from CTP 17.

So, another chance to try out the reverse engineer process of “Import Database Schema.” Works great. New AdventureWorks database inside Visual Studio with a tested deployment faster than you can spit.

Created a new server project. Added a login, just to give it something to do. It deployed fine.

On to the compound project. Let’s see what happens. Just to see, I did a build and deploy before I added references or objects or anything. It worked great. Whatever that means. I’m taking it a step at a time, to try to see where it breaks, if it breaks. So, I’ve added just the Adventureworks database project (not the .dbschema file). Trying a build & deploy now. Build went through. No issues. Deploying… Damn. I’m hitting a collation error. However, that’s good because I never got that far before… It worked! On to adding the server as a second reference and then deploying that… Whoops, there it is. Failure. Remove, reset and redeploy without the Server project.

Time for some more experimentation…

It looks like I was getting an error in the server project. I rearranged a few things and now I have the whole thing working again.

There is joy in Mudville!

Permalink Leave a Comment

Microsoft Connect and DBPro Enhancement

June 4, 2008 at 7:26 am (Visual Studio) (, , , )

I’ve mentioned it before and I think it’s worth mentioning again, Microsoft Connect really works. I’ve seen bugs and enhancements listed there receive enough attention that they were in the next release or service pack of the product in question.

That brings me to DBPro. We use DBPro for all our database development. It’s a great tool. However, it’s still a bit to geared toward the individual user and not the team, despite it’s moniker (Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals). One thing that really does bother me is how it stores some settings, such as Target Connection in the .user file within a project. This means that each individual sets the connection for the project each time they check it out after another user has had it. Another option is to actually check in the .user file with the project, checking it out and overwriting your own .user file each time you need to work on the project. This apparently gives the MS guys fits, but it’s what we’re doing and it works. However, I’d like to see these project level settings be stored with the project. So I’ve put forward a Connect Enhancement Request. Here’s the link. Please, go and and vote for it, rate it high. The more votes we can get on this, the more likely it’ll be in the next SP or the next release. Thanks.

Permalink Leave a Comment